We didn’t do much last week. Ethan wasn’t feeling too well and his attention span was in the negative range. We did lessons 9 and 10 and started the Final Project for MBTP and did lessons 10 and 11 in RSM.
Week 6 was much more productive
Monday – We finished up Concept 1 Unit 1 Final Project in MBTP and completed RSM lesson 12 and 13. I can’t wait to be done with part/wholes I feel like it’s just making everything harder then it has to be. We did a little bit of work with money and Ethan was very excited. One of his favorite things to do is dump out his doggy bank and count up the coins to see how much money is in them.
He also read 3 chapters (28 pages) in Fitch & Chip Who’s Afraid of Granny Wolf? By Lisa Wheeler
Tuesday – We started Concept 1 Unit 2 in Moving Beyond the Page. Ethan has been on a weather kick since he got an email from his grandma this summer that mentioned Hurricane Katrina, so I think he will enjoy the unit. He completed lessons 1 and 2.
He finished Fitch & Chip Who’s Afraid of Granny Wolf? and started When Pigs Fly
Thursday – We completed Right Start Math Lesson 15 and Moving Beyond the Page Lesson 3. Lesson 3 was a huge fail. We had to take the temperature of 3 glasses of water – ice cold, tap, and hot water. We could only get a thermometer to work for the hot water but Ethan got the point. Fail number two, they wanted Ethan to do an acrostic he was completely overwhelmed and it was way above his level. I felt so bad for him and it was probably the most I’ve helped him since we started school.
We have completed the first week of kindergarten. And if you are anything like Craig, yes I do realize it is summer. I think it makes more sense to go ahead and start now so when the weather is tolerable we will be able to go outside and play.
We completed Concept 1 Unit 1 Lessons 1-3 (Lesson 3 is a 2 day lesson and we haven’t done it yet), and Lesson 1 of RightStart Math. So far, it has not taken as long as I expected we are knocking it out in about an hour. We’ve only done Lesson one on RSM because I have managed to misplace the teacher’s manual. (bag over head for that one) I’m okay with that though because I really felt like I was insulting Ethan’s intelligence with lesson 1. The poor thing does addition in his head and I was talking to him about the numbers 1-3. It was basically math we were doing a year ago and this is level B. So when I find the teacher’s manual I need to sit down and figure out where to actually start.
He is enjoying Moving Beyond the Page (MBTP) we are learning about environments and habitats. And again he is bored with the copy work but he does need to work on writing his letters and numbers so we’re powering through that. He is also bothered that we aren’t going in alphabetical order – so far he has done B, H, M. Lesson 1 & 2 focused on maps and our environment and he has been kind of obsessed with maps the last couple of days and is drawing maps for everything.
We need to go to the library and check out some books but since we only have one car at the moment that will have to wait until Saturday.
I think next month we’ll go on a field trip to Fossil Rim. They have a couple of homeschool events coming up and I think we’ll go to this one and maybe this one if I can find someone else to take him. I’m pretty sure there is no way I could remain composed for 2 hours in a room with snakes and tarantulas.
and I have really been slacking off on posting. So lets hit some bullet points
- Emerson is starting to potty train. We are putting her in panties at the house and she is doing really well. A couple of days ago she woke up rushed to the bathroom and poopied in it!! Yay for her! We still put her in a diaper when leaving the house and at bedtime/naptime but she gets really upset if she potties in her diaper, it is so sad. I can’t believe she is doing so well at 2 years old when Ethan didn’t start until much later.
- Ethan is reading his first chapter book, the Magic Tree House series. We sort of take turns but he can read about 90 – 95% of it on his own.
- He is a couple of months away from moving up to silver level at gymnastics. Coach Andrea said that the only thing that was holding him back was his cartwheel. Then on Saturday he was the only person who showed up for class so he got some one on one help with his cartwheel. He has three, almost four, points on his cartwheel (whatever that means) and he only needs 3 points to move up. We will wait to move him up until after baseball season. Also, Coach Andrea said that since he will be one of the youngest in the class she wants him to be one of the strongest, which sounds really good to me.
- Friday, I got the email I was waiting on from Moving Beyond the Page and purchased Ethan’s curriculum for the fall. I was so stinking excited I could hardly stand or sit still. I can’t wait to get it in a couple of weeks.
- and last but not least Turbo got to come home yesterday. He is still sick but is doing better. I think he lost 10 -20 pounds while he was gone. He was such a chunk though that it was probably good for him. I’m so happy to have my declared non dangerous dog back home.
One of the things I have learned this year while homeschooling for preschool is that since we are home we don’t have to do school M-F 8 -3. I can do it any day and anytime of day. I know that seems silly and kind of like a duh! thing but for me it was a big revelation and very freeing.
I’m getting ready to order our material for next year and am really getting antsy about it. I’m trying to wait, I read on their web site that they run discounts in April. But I want it, I want to get it, and look at it, and plan. I might be a procrastinator but I love planning. I know that I want to do a 4 day schedule and a co op. I’m also thinking about starting during the summer so that when the weather is nice in the fall we can get out and play and not worry about if we are getting behind.